Monday, May 25, 2020

Learning about Poetry (part 3): Muse #3 Reading-Research Rhyme Use



In this post I will research the 9 rhyming words found in the eg/ague set rolled in the part one.

Instead of trying to imitate anything in this post, I will working with one poem in the next post. This post is just to research how some songs and poems have used these rhyming words. This is mainly to help me read and get a feel for how they could be used.

Here are the nine words

#264 egg, leg, beg, peg, vague, plague, keg, bootleg, nutmeg

And here are examples of how they are used in songs and poetic forms—mostly songs.

"Cancelled Check" by Beck
Reaching out for a rotten egg
I dont want to beg

"Disaster Cake" by Cher
You gotta break an egg
If you wanna be in show biz
Then you gotta break a leg
Babe you're heading on a journey

"C.Y.F.M.L.A.Y?" Terence Trent D'Arby
Dont make me beg, dont take me down a peg
Shake a leg, break an egg

"Egg Man" by Beastie Boys
Humpty Dumpty was a big fat egg
He was playing the wall then he broke his leg

"Christmas is A-Comin" Bing Crosby
Christmas is a coming, the ciders in the keg
If I had a mug of cider I wouldnt have to beg

"Party at the Leper Colony" by Weird Al Yankovic
Finger food and an ice-cold keg
It wont cost you an arm and a leg

"You're So Fine" by Whitesnake
Tight skirt, skinny leg
You make a bad dog sit up and beg

"Treat me like the Dog I am" by Motley Crue
At the dog pound make me beg
Got me with my tail between my leg

"The Big Square Inch" by Sammy Hagar
Less skirt and a lot more leg
Down on your knees and beg

"Follow You Home" by Nickelback
You can shoot me in the leg
Just to try to make me beg

"The Beleaguered City" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
I have read, in some old, marvellous tale,
Some legend strange and vague,
That a midnight host of spectres pale
Beleaguered the walls of Prague.

"Aint Talkin" by Bob Dylan
Aint talkin, just awalkin
Through the world mysterious and vague
Heart burnin, still yearnin
Walkin athrough the cities of the plague

"Indust" by Sick of It All
We cant ignore all the victims of the plague
Whove been fighting for a future
Thats looking pretty, pretty vague
We cant deny it, we can deny it

"King of the Hill" by Johnny Cash
You watch the girls and you drink bootleg
Get starved to death before you beg

Here are some of the uses of the last few words before the rhyme word from the examples above.
#264 egg, leg, beg, peg, vague, plague, keg, bootleg, nutmeg

rotten egg
an egg
arm and a leg
broke his leg
break a leg
in the leg
lot more leg
want to beg
make me beg
have to beg
knees and beg
down a peg
strange and vague
mysterious and vague
pretty vague
of the plague

I see that some mirror my idiom collecting done in part 2. I think that looking at idioms may help a great amount for inspiration.

In the next Poetry post, I would like to take one very popular short poem and try to play around with changing it just to get some hands on experience working with an established poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment