Available from Google Play Books.
Also available on Kindle and RPGNow
Part 2: Getting different types of mapsIn the last tutorial in part 1 (here), I showed you how to find a map, record the seed #, change the water and ice levels, make layer, and make 3D top perspective maps using GIMP.
With that seed that you recorded in part 1, I will now show you how to find additional types of maps for your world.
Take the your seed # from the Fantasy World Generator to another Donjon map maker, the Fractal World Generator. http://donjon.bin.sh/world/
Although they look very similar, this tool will create different types of maps. It will not create the grid or biome terrain maps.
It will create polar and other maps.
Verify that you have the correct map, change the seed #, % water, # ice, and iteration to 25000 settings to find that map.
- Enter your seed # into the Random Seed box to replace the new random seed #.
- At first we will keep the Map Projection and Atlas at Square and Atlas so that we can verify that we have the correct map.
- Make sure to enter the same % Water and % Ice as your prior map.
- Image height is the size of the map. At 400 (pixels) your map will be small, 400 pixels high. The maps that you downloaded and saved from part 1 were 2000 pixels high, which is the max size. Use 400 at first until you verify that you have the correct map. Change it to 2000 later to get a full map.
- Iterations is something new. The default of 5000 will be wrong for the map that you saved. 25000 will be the correct iteration for your prior map. If you entered the correct seed and changed the iteration, you should see your correct map in the preview window. Iterations seems to be sort of like geographical changes over time. If you count back from 25000, you can see the world change slowly and sometimes even rapidly like volcanic activity and land forms sinking into the water. For now, keep it at 25000.
- Rotation will actually change which part of the planet is center to the map, up to 360 degrees. 0 degrees should be your default from the prior tool. So if you didn't like your default center from part one, with this tool you can change the center of the map.
- Click Create to see what is created.
- If the map is the same, except smaller, as your prior map, then you have the correct settings. If not, check your seed # and your iteration 25000. Also make sure your rotation is at 0 for now. Double check your water and ice settings.
|Aioskoru Transverse Mercator map|
|Aioskoru Icosahedral map|
|Aioskoru Mollweide map|
|Aioskoru Sinusoidal map|
|Aioskoru Sphere 1st hemisphere|
|Aioskoru Sphere 2nd hemisphere|
|Aioskoru North Pole|
|Aioskoru South Pole|
|Aioskoru animated map 100 pixel version|