Monday, December 24, 2018

Story Mechanisms: creating a story profile instructions (part 5)



Expanding the story

So far in this series I've made a basic story structure sheet and last time I began constructing a story by selecting a fantasy genre and the basic story elements, one of which I decided to star the main character Dakota that I created in October for Character Mechanisms.

Created last time

Based on the rolled results the story is a physical-based story where the main character must destroy either the foe or the foes' giant ooze creatures that are trying to attack an elvish village because of some social affection issue. The hero must stop or destroy the ooze in order to save the village.

Maybe Dakota at some point in the past interacted with each other, Dakota did something that created this desire to attack the village with the giant ooze. In all likelihood, The foe maybe was attracted to Dakota and wanted to pursue a relationship. Maybe this character might be considered ugly, which clashes with Dakota's social acknowledgment and self-actualizing from ugliness motivation.

Story Challenge

Using Story Mechanisms has challenged me with a story that I don't think that I would have ever created on my own. That is one great I think. It forces me to expand my writing ability. I do like how the story has a motive, the affection of the foe.

Story Themes and Conflicts

Themes
Three themes naturally can be assigned to this story which I find just looking over one of my charts for ideas. The affections is listed on my Theme Generator as affections vs feelings. For looks, I have vanity vs modesty. There is also love vs hate which fits a revenge motive.

Three Conflict Chain RPG


Opening

Although I know the main conflict, I want to look into the story for further conflicts and details. First is the beginning of the story.

A dialogue can help to establish the main character and the setting.


Argument between relationship.


Okay, so I will begin the story with an argument between two characters. I'll pull out one of my Character Mechanisms tool, the Dialogue Engine to do this.

I first look at the hostile/anger mood and topic chart.

Threat.
I'm/We’re going to...


In this argument, there is going to be a threat.

What type of character would be interesting to argue with Dakota—a skeptical charismatic character? 

I'll name the foe another gender neutral name, Rowan.

Probably a guardian type character that is trying to hold onto some type of ideal is the exact opposite of a skeptical character. Instead of questioning things, the guardian tries to preserve and return back to the past when things seemed to be better. Also, I can make this character more blunt and less charismatic. Appearance wise, maybe I can do something with elf ears. Maybe one elf ear is smaller than the other elf ear. And maybe his nose is bigger than normal. These two traits plus the blunt guardian personality might make this foe into a less attractive character.

Guardian
I/We should/have to… I (don't)
like...

I'm going to maybe use the archaeology of Dakota maybe as a common thread.

Both Rowan and Dakota are archaeologists excavating ancient elvish ruins when they come across something that causes an argument maybe it is something that leads to the giant ooze conflict. It could be an ancient powerful object.

I'll use Description Generator for some keywords.

11, 3 U shaped

This reminds me of a candelabra.

I'll try to throw some notes down for an argument scene over a candelabra at an elvish archaeological site. I'll just see where the writing takes these two characters.




Opening

"It's just a broken down brass lamp," Dakota said in a low quiet voice to Rowan.

Rowan eyebrows became tense and his uneven ugly ears turned red. "This is a magical candelabra, it's not junk." he said holding the bent and mangled crappy waste-of-time object in his hand. A small stinky glob of ooze pulsed where a candle should sit. "We have to preserve and study this Expansion-age power. It could be powerful. The ancients Expansions-age elves had greater knowledge and understanding than we even know today," Rowan said, looking at the object as if it were a lover.

"Huh? It's worthless and hideous," Dakota simply said.

Dakota turned to look towards the still-to-be excavated room. "Maybe there is a exquisite golden object somewhere in here."

A hand suddenly grabbed around from behind on the shirt collar.

Dakota smashed with a backfist, the fist hitting the ear of Rowan. Dakota heard Rowan hit the ground, but Dakota began to walk away.

Rowan then was breathing harder and harder, the air rushing in and out, echoing through the dig site chambers. His bulbous nose sniffled.

"I'll kill you," Dakota heard Rowan say. And then louder ,"I'll kill you!"

"Take your crappy thing and get away from me," Dakota said, deciding to stay away from Rowan for good.


I didn't know what this argument would look like until I wrote the words. It's good enough for now. I think I have written and developed the story enough for this post.



The next post

With that opening, the next posts I will try to figure out how the story can escalate.

No comments:

Post a Comment