Saturday, November 12, 2016

Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 4: Parts of speech - articles, quantifiers, prepositions, questions

Other fantasy language posts
Creating a fantasy languageElfin and Orcish amount of words so far
Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 1: Sounds
Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 2: Parts of speech - nouns
Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 3: Parts of speech - adjectives
Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 4: Parts of speech - articles, quantifiers, prepositions, questions
Fantasy Constructed Languages Part 5: Parts of speech - why, pronouns, conjunctions,

Articles

Next, I need words to either specify or generalize nouns. We do that using the words the which indicate a specific noun and the words a/an which indicate a general noun

I want these words to be one syllable since they will be spoken very often.
I just pick o and sh, z just because I look over the list and see that I haven't used them very frequently

  1. the         osh
  2. a/an       oz

Quantifiers

Next, I want to make words that indicate general quantities. I chose the word fe to indicate the existence of some unknown quantity. I then reuse the Normal (na), comparative (nga), and superlatives (ma) root syllables to indicate the degree or amount of the quantity.


  1. not, no                     tha
  2. some, any, exists         fe
  3. nothing, none, disappear, gone  fetha
  4. few, several                   fena
  5. many, much, a lot         fenga
  6. all, every                       fema

Prepositions

Now, I'd like to add words that indicate location. I decide to use the leter n to construct most of the basic prepositions mixing in my four vowels. The second level of prepositions I use l to extend the words. I try to connect these second level prepositions to similar meaning one syllable n words.

I also look back to my nouns and adjectives for possible root word indicators such as shoni and wani have a relationship with smoke waly and ashes shomi. I remember thinking about smoke preceeds fire and ashes come after fire. So maybe wa means before and ni means at, by, beside (now). Likewise sho means after and ni means at, by, beside (time).


  1. at, by, beside    ni
  2. in              no
  3. with, yet      ne
  4. on, to, upon, on   na
  5. up to, to              nili
  6. above, over         nali
  7. under, below       yolo
  8. before, first         wani
  9. after, following, later  shoni
  10. from, out of         vaj
  11. of                       wo
  12. between, among, amid, in the midst   neni

Questions

Finally, I want some question words. I begin with the word what. The other words will contain that root word. After I know what, then the other words are created logically.

For example, who is what doer. Where is what location. When is what time period. How is what manner or way. How many is what number of existence.

For what, I pick the create the word ara, which I like how it sounds.


  1. who           ara-oni
  2. what          ara
  3. where         ara-na
  4. when         ara-neni
  5. how         ara-danya
  6. how much, how many   ara-fe
  7. doer      oni
  8. way, method, approach, manner     danya   

Just to contrast with English, lets make a general rule that these words go after the words that they modify. Instead of saying 'the sun', fairies will say 'sun the' yandi osh. So 'the big sun' is nalang yandi osh. And the question word would go after the 'the'. 'Where is the big sun?' is nalang yandi osh fe ara-na. I used the word fe for 'is' since I mentioned that few means existence or some similar to the verb 'to be'. 'Where's the dog?' is vava osh fe ara-na whereas 'where's a dog' is vava oz fe ara-na.

Total Words in Fairy Language

To the 111 words that we made in the two prior posts, we have now added 28 important words, which brings our total Fairy words to 139 important basic Fairy words.

The next post I need to add verbs

No comments:

Post a Comment