Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Character Mechanisms - creating character profile instructions (part 2)

In the last post, I outlined the criteria that I will try to cover for this new challenge.

Researching Content and Challenges

To review the criteria, I'll repost the summary from my first post.

So, for a few posts I hope to create instructions and examples for using the new character profile sheet for Character Mechanisms.
  • for different types of characters
  • covering all of the types of data
  • with prioritized character information
  • with a goal of completing before November 1st.
I like to reuse content wherever possible to aid in speeding up writing processes by not having to reinvent everything. So first, I'll research my content for possible suggestions.

Different types of characters 

Looking back at my generators and engines, probably a key piece of information cover the first criteria for different types of characters is found in the Human Generator. I'll color code with highlighter the four types of characters that I mentioned in that book. The actual number might differ since the profile is a much larger scope than the human character twelve descriptions.

Main, major, minor, background

The number of human characteristics rolled may be limited by the type of character. Main characters most likely are detailed with all or most of these twelve characteristics fleshed out. Major significant and important characters might have half or more of these details revealed. Minor significant, but important characters to the story may have three to half of these characteristics known. Background characters focused briefly on in a scene, however that aren’t important, may have one or two characteristics observed.
The easiest thing for me to do is to give the same sort of advice.
Amount of details for Character types: main, major, minor, background
The number of characteristics rolled may be limited by the type of character. Main characters most likely are detailed with all or most of these characteristics fleshed out. Major significant and important characters might have half or more of these details revealed. Minor significant, but important characters to the story may have three to six or so of these characteristics known. Background characters focused briefly on in a scene, however that aren’t important, may have one or two characteristics observed.
In the next post, I'll continue with the analysis of the types and priority of data.

No comments:

Post a Comment